Happy International Babywearing Week! Wow, it is a busy week for babywearers around the world. To see some of the things that have been going on, visit the Facebook page for Babywearing International, or this page to see some of the highlights from last year (worth a click as there were so many amazing things, including the world’s longest sling spanning the Danube). Know any awesome babywearing advocates or groups? Nominate them for awards by October 10!
Have you found us on Facebook? We make lots of little announcements there, for upcoming meetings and anything else we are doing. Here are two things we are doing to celebrate International Babywearing Week this year:
On Sunday, October 10, at 2p.m. at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens, Dr. Henry Hughes, education director of the BBG, will lead us and our little ones on a fun and educational walk through the gardens. We’ll have a quick safety discussion first. Carriers will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis for those who need to borrow them for the walk. All are welcome, even (especially) babywearing “graduates.” This event is made possible with help from Fresh Air Family and the Birmingham Botanical Gardens. Fresh Air Family would love it if you could send them an email at events @ freshairfamily.org (remove spaces) to let them know you’re coming.
Photo Contest for a Beco Butterfly (Alabama residents only)
The theme of IBW this year is “Safe Babywearing: Enjoy the Benefits.” Find your favorite digital photo that shows someone in your family enjoying the benefits of safe babywearing and email it to danagale @ gmail.com (remove spaces) with “Babywearing Photo Contest” in the subject line to enter our photo contest. Please identify the brand and/or type of carrier and the age of the child being worn in the body of the email so that we can caption the photo. You may also include name the child and/or adult, but you are not required to. If you do include that information, it may be added to the photo caption.
All photos will be posted in a publicly visible album on our Facebook page. The photo with the most “likes” as of 9 p.m. on Tuesday, October 12, will win a new Beco Butterfly 2 baby carrier! We have some fun prizes for honorable mentions, too.
Some things to note:
– This contest is open to Alabama residents only. Leaders of Babywearing International of Birmingham and their immediate familiy members may not enter.
– Please feel welcome to include a photo showing any type of soft baby carrier being used safely.
– Only submit a photo that belongs to you; do not submit a photo if someone else owns the copyright.
– One photo per person, please.
– Please feel welcome to share the contest with your friends and invite them to vote.
– Once the photo is posted in our Facebook album, you may “tag” yourself in the photo.
– To vote, a person will have to “like” our page, then “like” the photo he is voting for. A person may vote for as many photos as she wants, but only the one photo with the most votes as determined by the BWI of Birmingham leadership team will win the Beco Butterfly 2.
– The number of honorable mention prizes to be awarded is at the discretion of the BWI of Birmingham leadership team. We hope everyone will enjoy the photos and have fun with this contest, while spreading the love of babywearing!
To vote, click here to visit our contest album on Facebook.